Monday, April 18, 2011

Where to Meet Guys: Fashion Nail

Every girl needs to get her nails done every once in a while.  Especially in the middle of the semester, when everything gets really crazy, it's good to take some "me" time every once in a while.

So last week Katrin, Alicia, and I decided to go down to Fashion Nails, our favorite nail salon on Rosecrans.  It is, of course, run by cute little Asian ladies.  And they only charge $19.99 for a Mani Pedi!

We went in at about 6:30, picked out our colors, and were each assigned to a cute little Asian lady.  As usual, I picked out the brightest, most obnoxious pink I could find.  When I get my nails done, I like people to notice.

I was the first to get my nails painted and was sent to the driers at the front of the salon while Katrin and Alicia got their nails painted in the back.  I stuck my hands in the hand drier and my toes in the toe drier and sat gazing out the window at Rosecrans Street.  It wasn't very exciting, but my nails were wet, so I didn't dare open People Magazine to find out what Carrie Underwood had to teach me about style. (Too bad, too, I would have really liked to find some jeans to fit my body and budget.)

I glanced at the magazine cover from time to time, but mostly just stared blankly into the darkness of the street.  A few people walked by, but not too many because by this time it was about 7:30.  However, as I stared out the window, a face suddenly appeared.  A rather attractive man of about 30 stood with his face inches away from the window, smiling at me.

I am generally a friendly person, so I smiled back.  He and his friend walked past the open door about ten feet away from me and he yelled in, "Hey!  What's up?"

"Hi..." I replied, a little hesitantly.  He and his friend then walked across the street to Jack in the Box.  I giggled to myself and glanced at Carrie Underwood again.

Ten minutes later I looked up to see the two guys walking back across the street.  Instead of just walking past the window again, the guy who had smiled and said hi earlier walked in the front door of Fashion Nails.

"Hey!  How's it going?" he asked enthusiastically.

"Pretty good..." I replied, smiling.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh, you know... just got my nails done."

"Oh yeah?  How much did that cost?"

I have never met a guy who was so interested in nails.

"So, what's that thing your hands are in?"

"It dries them..."

"Oh, so it just blows on them?  I could do that for you."

We made small talk for another couple minutes before we said our goodbyes.

"We always see girls sitting there staring out the window," my new friend told me.  "It was really nice of you to smile back and say hi; usually they just stare back like 'huh?'."

Katrin and Alicia finished up in the back, and we all walked out to Alicia's car.

"Did you see my friend?" I asked.

"Yeah!" Alicia said.  "Did you know him?"

I told her the story, and she laughed and said something like that would happen to me.

"Yeah, I do have some random stories," I agreed.  "But I never thought I would get hit on at Fashion Nail."

4 comments:

  1. Oh Abby, I love you an all of your crazy stories. You seem to attract decent people to you. It's a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha fashion nail. just one.
    loved this post! i'm always interested in your adventures...also, i thought you were going to say "As usual, I picked out the brightest, most obnoxious cute little Asian lady" hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic. I oughta go get my nails done ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha actually I think it is called "Fashion Nails," but they say it singular, so we do too =)

    ReplyDelete